Web Dev Crash Course Curriculum
Here's a simple curriculum I've come up with for self-teaching web development, using my guides, or really any guides.
The idea is to limit yourself to about a week for each item in the list, but you can go faster or slower as necessary. Pace yourself.
- Make a personal page with just HTML + CSS.
- With just PHP, add in a neat quirk to your personal page, like a random quote generator, or how many days til your next birthday, or something.
- With PHP + MySQL, add an anonymous Twitter-like feed to the page that anyone can submit to.
- With PHP + MySQL, secure the feed so only logged in users can use it.
- With PHP + MongoDB, duplicate the last two points.
- With PHP + whatever you want + jQuery, make a near-real-time updating feed on your personal page that doesn't require the user to reload the page.
- With PHP + whatever, secure your login to prevent illegal usernames, injection attacks, and brute force attacks.
And for bonus points...
- With PHP + whatever + jQuery + node.js, make an actual real-time updating feed on your personal page.
- FOR EVEN MORE BONUS POINTS, do the same with only node.js and jQuery.
If you can accomplish all of that in 7-8 weeks and finish with confidence, then you're a web developer.